To install and enable a VPN server, follow these steps:
1. On the Microsoft Windows 2000 VPN computer, confirm that both the connection to the Internet and the connection to your local area network (LAN) are correctly configured.
2. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Routing and Remote Access.
3. Click the server name in the tree, and then click Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access on the Action menu. Click Next.
4. In the Common Configurations dialog box, click Virtual private network (VPN server), and then click Next.
5. In the Remote Client Protocols dialog box, confirm that TCP/IP is included in the list, click Yes, all of the available protocols are on this list, and then click Next.
6. In the Internet Connection dialog box, select the Internet connection that will connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
7. In the IP Address Assignment dialog box, select Automatically in order to use the DHCP server on your subnet to assign IP addresses to dialup clients and to the server.
8. In the Managing Multiple Remote Access Servers dialog box, confirm that the No, I don't want to set up this server to use RADIUS now checkbox is selected.
9. Click Next, and then click Finish.
10. Right click the Ports node, and the click Properties.
11. In the Ports Properties dialog box, click the WAN Miniport (PPTP) device, and then click Configure.
12. In the Configure Device - WAN Miniport (PPTP) dialog box, do one of the following:
o If you do not want to support direct user dialup VPN to modems installed on the server, click to clear the Demand-Dial Routing Connections (Inbound and Outbound) check box.
o If you do want to support direct user dialup VPN to modems installed on the server, click to select the Demand-Dial Routing Connections (Inbound and Outbound) check box.
13. Type the maximum number of simultaneous PPTP connections that you want to allow in the Maximum Ports text box. (This may depend on the number of available IP addresses.
14. Repeat steps 11 through 13 for the L2TP device, and then click OK.