To set up a connection to a VPN:
1. On the client computer, confirm that the connection to the Internet is correctly configured.
2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network And Dial-Up Connections.
3. Double-click Make New Connection.
4. Click Next, and then click Connect To A Private Network Through The Internet, and then click Next.
5. Do one of the following:
o If you use a dial-up connection to connect to the Internet, click Automatically Dial This Initial Connection and then select your dial-up Internet connection from the list.
o If you use a full-time connection (such as a cable modem), click Do Not Dial The Initial Connection.
6. Click Next.
7. Type the host name (for example, Microsoft.com) or the IP address (for example, 184.108.40.206) of the computer to which you want to connect, and then click Next.
8. Click to select For All Users if you want the connection to be available to anyone who logs on to the computer, or click to select Only For Myself to make it available only when you log onto the computer. Click Next.
descriptive name for the connection, and then click
NOTE: This option is available only if you are logged on as a member of the Administrators group.
10. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network And Dial-Up Connections.
11. Double-click the new connection.
Properties to further configure options for the
o If you are connecting to a domain, click the Options tab, and then click to select the Include Windows logon domain check box to specify whether to request Windows 2000 logon domain information before attempting to connect.
o If you want the connection to be redialed if the line is dropped, click the Options tab, and then click to select the Redial if line is dropped check box.
To use the connection:
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network And Dial-Up Connections.
2. Double-click the new connection.
3. If you do not currently have a connection to the Internet, Windows offers to connect to the Internet.
connection to the Internet is made, the VPN server prompts you for
your user name and password. Enter your user name and password,
click Connect, and your network resources should be
available to you in the same way they are when you connect directly
to the network.
NOTE: To disconnect from the VPN, right-click the connection's icon, and then click Disconnect.