Edit the BWSERVER.INI file to:
Change Remote Access Code (without reinstalling software)
Change TCP Ports (without reinstalling software)
Modify the Smart Host used for email or SMTP Port
The BWSERVER.INI exists on both the Project Node and the SCADA node. If it is a combined Project & SCADA node it is the same file. It also exists on an OPC Server with the WebAccess Network Service (Webvrpcs.exe) installed.
You have to make changes in two places, 1) the BWSERVER.INI file and 2) in the Project Manager from the Update. Modifying the bwserver.ini is used instead of re-installing software.
1. Open Explorer. Right Click Start -> Explore
2. Go to
3. Right Click on bwserver.ini
4. Select Open with…
5. Select Notepad.
6. If you are using a firewall or port mapping and entered alternate TCP ports, try changing them to zero (the default).
Typical BWSERVER.INI file:
The Project Manager uses Primary and Secondary as the terminology for the web_rpc_port and web_socket_port SCADA Node TCP ports. The Project manager calls web_rpc_port the 'TCP Port'.
remember, 0 = default port
web_rpc_port is the Primary TCP port of the
SCADA Node and the TCP Port of the Project Node, default = 4592
web_socket_port is the Secondary TCP port of the SCADA node, default = 14592
The Default SMTP port = 25
7. If you accepted the default TCP ports, try changing them to another number (like 5592 and 15592 or any two numbers above 2000 and less 65535). These should match the TCP Port of the Project Node and the Primary and Secondary ports of the SCADA Node in Project Manager under Update and SCADA Node properties.
On a combined Project/SCADA node, the Project TCP Port and the SCADA Primary TCP Port should be the same.
8. You can add a remote access code or change it here (without having to reinstall software. Remember to run UPDATE in the Project manager so the database matched this code.
9. Save the bwserver.ini file
10. Login to Project Manager and use Update to change the Ports in the Project Database for the SCADA node and Project Node.
Important - You must use Update in Project Manager to match the new remote access code and TCP Ports. There at least three places on the Update page to change 1) the Primary and Secondary TCP Ports for the SCADA node and 2) the TCP Port for the Project Node.
11. Download the nodes.
12. Restart the WebAccess Network Service by either:
Reboot the computer (to restart the WebAccess Network Service)
the Webvrpcs.exe (in Task Manager) and Restart the WebAccess
(from Start -> All Programs -> Startup -> WebAccess Network Service).